NaNoWriMo: Chiseling Away Writer's Block

The only thing good about being sick is getting better. I'm still not at my best, which is miserable, but I can put milk in my tea again and my brain isn't so fuzzy I can't complete a...a, um... Oh dear.

But while I was sick, October snuck up on me. The bats flapped out of their caves, the word pumpkin appeared after everything in existence (not that I'll complain about that one), and the wind started to blow a little harder. Sh. If you listen hard, you can just make out it whispering.

NaNoWriMo is coming...

Yes! National Novel Writing Month (also known as November) is almost here! For those that have never heard of it, NaNoWriMo is a challenge for all and any authors to write a brand new novel (50,000 words) in the space of one month and it is one of my favorite months of the year! And not just because my birthday's in November either...


To prepare I've been brainstorming some ideas that should come in handy next month, along with advice and tips I wish I'd known my first year. So if you're a nervous novice gearing up for your first challenge or just a stuck writer (don't worry, we've all be there), read on for five of my best writer's block busting techniques.


I look forward to NaNoWriMo every year. I love the challenge of trying to write 50,000 words in one month. Of throwing myself completely into one story and all its triumphs and problems. But what about when I have problems getting the words out? Stories can be stubborn creatures, and when they don't want to get on the paper, its author can quickly go insane from the ever-dreaded writer's block.

Some people might say we're all insane to start with, but that's not the issue here. The issue is:

How do I escape writer's block when the NaNoWriMo deadline looms?

To be honest, I don't think escape is possible. At least not completely. But writer's block can be broken, and insanity avoided like a squirrel that darts in front of your car at the last second. And like stone blocks, all we need is a chisel to chip our writer's block down to size. Here are five things that have worked for me when my muse deserts me during this amazing, difficult month.


My winner's badge from 2016 and one of my favorite themes!
Click to check out NanNoWriMo's official website!

Write: That may sound like a twisted joke, but I'm serious. The point of NaNoWriMo is to get the words out, without editing. Editing is essentially nitpicking to make sure your story is pleasantly readable, which is not the point of the NaNoWriMo challenge! Your words may not be beautiful (or spelled correctly). They may not even make sense as you change your plot on the fly. They may not even be the same story at the end when sequel bits get mixed up with their predecessors! The point is to get the words down. If you need to get a plot bunny or the conclusion scene out first to do that, then do it!

Know where you're going: Sometimes you have to know what end you want before you can write what happens before it. Whether it's the ending of a scene, a sentence, or the whole book altogether. Write it down, then write everything else that came before so that they move toward that ending.

Take a little break: Often this one helps me the most when I hit a wall after I've written for awhile. Writing is work and work is hard. It's all right to give yourself a break to recuperate. Getting up and moving around for ten minutes or so gives my brain a chance to catch its breath, so to speak. So get up, get some coffee, go to the bathroom, whatever you need. And then come back, sit down, and keep going.

Listen to music without words: This is one of my NaNoWriMo specialties. When I need to focus even song lyrics can distract me, so I get rid of them. Break out your favorite movie soundtrack or composer. Violinist Lindsey Stirling practically got me through last November! Revolt Production Music also has some wonderful themed albums that I love. I play my favorites when I'm particularly easy to distract.

Read your own work: This may sound counterproductive, perhaps even prideful, but reading my own work often gets me back into the flow of a story. I find myself thinking things like Hey, that's pretty good! or Right! I wrote this because of that surprise at the end. I forgot about that. I even find myself laughing at some of my own jokes. And pretty soon, I'm thinking I should really write more of this.

Writing, like tea, is best shared. :)


NaNoWriMo is one of the highlights of my year and these five tricks have helped me write when it felt like I'd never meet November 30's deadline. They may not work 100% of the time, but I hope they'll help you when you need it.

If they have or if you have a writer's block trick of your own, share it in a comment! I'd love to know what it is!


Here's to meeting that deadline!

Bookwyrm Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Labyrinth

Scumbling Around